FSMA: Preventative Measures
The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) has changed America’s food safety implementation system by placing focus on preventing foodborne illness as opposed to the previous strategy of simply responding to it. By taking the first step against the problem, as opposed to attempting to solve it after the fact, there is no longer a high demand for rapid response to food illness. This stable foundation will aid in preventing said illnesses from occurring instead of employing corrective counter measures. Congress has made the decision to enact FSMA based on the growing knowledge of significant changes within the global food system and the understanding that preventable foodborne illnesses are a real threat to the economic stability and well-being of the food industry, as well as the well-being of the population.
One System, One Purpose
The FDA has finalized and enacted seven key rules in the implementation of FSMA. Ensuring the safety of both the human and animal food supply must be a shared effort between a plethora of points and groups within the global food supply chain. The rules and regulations included within the FSMA are presented in a way that clearly states specific actions that are required by the entities found at each of the points, or groups, within the global food supply chain.
What Can Labtopia Do For You?
Labtopia can provide the following services to draft and design a food safety system that is compliant with the FDA's requirements for food GMP and the FSMA:
- Development of a HAACP plan
- Identification of critical control points (CCPs)
- Consultation on how to implement adequate controls for the identified hazards
Food Defense & Food Fraud:
- Development of documents required by FSMA for food defense and food fraud
- Consultation on appropriate food defense measures
- Draft of Food Defense Procedure Evaluation of systems and analysis to determine and mitigate food fraud risks
- Draft of Food Fraud Procedure & Risk Analysis
Cleaning & Sanitation Program:
- Development of cleaning & sanitation processes
- Identification of areas where cleaning & sanitation are required
- Draft cleaning & sanitation procedure
- Draft schedule outlining requirements
- Draft cleaning & sanitation logs
- Calibration & Preventative Maintenance and Purchasing & Supplier
- Development of calibration and preventative maintenance program for equipment, utensils and instruments used in manufacturing & distribution of food product.
- Draft of procedure & schedule for calibration and preventative maintenance
- Develop purchasing & supplier qualification program
- Draft procedures, supplier evaluation criteria, supplier evaluation forms and tracking spreadsheet for supplier qualifications
Food Safety & Quality Procedures:
- Draft and revise the following policies and procedures to comply with FDA requirements:
- GMP Policy
- Visitor Policy
- Document Control & Record Keeping
- Consumer complaints
- Product Recall
- Pest Control
- Chemical Control and Physical Contamination
- Waste Management
- Specification Management
- Water Testing
- Monitoring and Verification
- Internal Audit & Inspection
- Nonconforming Product
- Corrective and Preventative Action
Training and Support
Conduct FSMA Training:
- Conduct training on all policies.
- Labtopia can provide additional support on a consultation basis during the implementation process.
To speak with a Labtopia representative about our implementation services click here!